I’ve worked in various editorial capacities, at Ballantine Books, A.A.Knopf, and at Fence as Nonfiction/Other Editor and also a freelancer. Working on publications has been a life-long pursuit.
Independently, I have worked on several projects:
- Guest edited Cue: A Journal of Prose Poetry.
- Safundi, Volume 11, 2010 – Issue 1-2 Special Issue on Animal Studies and Ecocriticism (with Dana Phillips). I have a book review included in the issue as well: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17533170903467612.
- Edited the book World of Giving by Jeffrey Inaba and C-Lab of Columbia University.
- Designed and edited the official website of the poet Amy Clampitt.
As well, from my ongoing tenure as Nonfiction/Other editor of Fence, a number of pieces that I’ve personally selected and edited are available online. Fence posts work online from the journal quite selectively, so this is just a sampling of the writing I’ve edited for publication in its pages.
Fence, Winter 2016:
- “When People Fall Down I Laugh” by Laurie Stone
- from “The Yesterday Project” by Ben and Sandra Doller
Fence, Winter 2013-2014:
Fence, Summer 2012:
Fence, Fall 2011:
Fence, Winter 2011:
Fence, Winter 2008-2009:
Entering the professional editorial world at Ballantine, in addition to assisting with a number of books, I personally edited
- The Power of Birthdays, Stars & Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide by Saffi Crawford and Geraldine Sullivan (I was able to choose celebrity birthdays!)
- The Plain Reader: Essays on Making a Simple Life by Scott Savage
- A Plain Life: Walking My Belief
At Knopf, pre-YouTube, I oversaw the day-to-day running of the Knopf website, the then new The Borzoi Reader Online (circa 2001), and the creation of multimedia features for the site about upcoming books, working closely and directly with the authors and their editors. The imprint-specific design since replaced by automatic PenguinRandomHouse catalog pages. Some of these ancient “author desktop” pages, however, still exist in their own haunted realm:
- James Merrill: http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/merrill/merrillarchive.html
- Peter Carey: http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/carey/desktopnew.html
- James Ellroy: http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/ellroy/desktopnew.html
- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich: http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/ulrich/desktopnew.html
- Haruki Murakami: http://www.harukimurakami.com/gallery/murakamis-tokyo-gallery
- Orhan Pamuk: https://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/pamuk/desktopnew.html
- Allan Gurganus: https://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/gurganus/desktopnew.html
- Wendy Wasserstein: https://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/wasserstein/desktopnew.html
- Arthur Bradford: https://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/bradford/desktopnew.html
- Wanda And Giovanna Tornabene: https://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/tornabene/
- I commissioned this video/”preview” of Daniel Clowes’s David Boring for the Pantheon Graphic Novel site; it still survives here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kquIe17CQSg&list=LLPhoH-nBfP9exuZ1-WUTXow&index=